Benjamin Smith Captures Welterweight Gold, Jeff Curran KO’ed in Return at RFA …

March 7, 2015 Posted by admin

It wasn’t one for the record books, but Benjamin
did what he had to do to get the win against a curiously
inactive opponent.

Smith (14-2) stopped a lethargic Indalecio
Tat Romero
via third-round technical knockout in the Resurrection
Fighting Alliance 24
headliner at Mystic Lake Casino
Hotel in Prior Lake, Minn., on Friday night. A stream of unanswered
ground-and-pound mercifully brought a halt to the bout 4:32 into
round three, giving Smith the vacant RFA welterweight crown.

Romero (24-6) seemed frozen throughout the contest, going minutes
without throwing a single strike on the feet and holding on
desperately for takedowns in close quarters. Romero’s lone bright
spot came when he slammed Smith to the canvas for a takedown in
round two, but even that moment was fleeting, as the Xtreme Couture
product returned to his feet in relatively short order.

After a relatively underwhelming opening 10 minutes, Smith dropped
the hammer in round three. He landed a double-leg takedown at the
outset of the frame and proceeded to methodically pound away at a
prone Romero, who was content to cover up and absorb the
punishment. It was only when Smith upped the intensity of his
attack in the round’s final minute that referee Joe Fipp was forced
to intervene and halt the fight.

In the co-main event, Melvin
spoiled Jeff Curran’s
return from retirement, knocking out the UFC and WEC veteran 4:58
into the opening stanza of their bantamweight clash. It was
Curran’s first bout since a split-decision loss to Pedro
at RFA 9 on Aug. 16, 2013.

The bout quickly turned into a slugfest, with Blumer (12-2) getting
off early with a Superman punch followed by a flurry of clinch
knees. However, it was Curran (36-17-1) who landed the first truly
significant blow. “Big Frog” dropped Blumer with a right hook
during an exchange before pouncing to secure a guillotine choke.
Blumer fought valiantly to escape the predicament and was
eventually able to pop his head free.

“That guillotine was tight,” Blumer said. “I was really nervous,
but I was right in my corner, luckily. They guided me through

Curran remained aggressive following the failed submission, but he
would ultimately pay for that strategy. The two fighters would
throw left hooks at the same time, but a short follow-up backhand
strike from Blumer knocked Curran flat on his face. A follow-up
uppercut clinched the victory for the Minnesotan, a shocking end to
Curran’s comeback appearance.

Earlier, Darrick
authored a dominant performance in taking a lopsided
unanimous decision triumph against hometown favorite Marvin
. Two judges scored the bout 30-26, while a third saw it
30-27, all in favor of the 24-year-old Nebraskan.

Blumer (11-5) had no answer for Minner’s wrestling and grappling.
Minner (12-4) landed takedowns seemingly at will and opened
multiple cuts on his opponent’s head with vicious elbows. While
Blumer tried to remain active from his back, his best efforts to
threaten with submissions were thwarted by Minner’s tireless

outwrestled Dan Moret to
capture a unanimous decision victory in a featherweight affair. All
three cageside judges scored the bout 29-28 in favor of “The
Wolfman,” who improved to 7-1 in going the distance in victory for
the first time in his professional career.

Moffett overpowered Moret (7-2) for the majority of the contest,
landing takedowns in each frame and smothering his foe from top
position. Moret’s best moment came in round one, when he was able
to return to his feet to batter Moffett with elbows and knees in a
brief, furious salvo, but he struggled to remain upright for the
rest of the bout.

brawled his way to a technical knockout stoppage of the
previously unbeaten Andre Tieva
in a raucous bantamweight scrap. Tieva wilted under a storm of
Brown (10-4) punches and elbows 1:28 into the final frame.

After an uneventful first round, Tieva trapped Brown in a
guillotine choke for much of the second frame. The Oshkosh, Wisc.,
native gradually pulled his head free, however, and offered a
preview of what was to come by bloodying his foe with a wicked
elbow when the combatants returned to their feet. Brown was
relentless in the final stanza, staggering Tieva (8-1) with a
standing elbow and unloading with an endless flurry of punches and
elbows from there. While Tieva remained upright throughout the
assault, his lack of defense forced referee Merrick Morland to call
a halt to the bout.

In the evening’s opening main card bout, American Top Team product
ended Chris Hugh’s
six-fight winning streak via first-round technical knockout.
Velickovic (10-3) brought an end to the welterweight contest 4:40
into the opening stanza with a barrage of punches and hammerfists
from back mount.

The 26-year-old Serbian landed a takedown in the bout’s opening
minute and dominated position from there. He gradually moved to
side control, and then turned the tide for good with a pair of
elbows as Hugh (16-10) attempted a reversal. From there, Velickovic
was able to take the Grudge Training Center representative’s back
and hammer away to earn the stoppage.

Article source:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *